In one month we’ll be ending support for Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) in the UserVoice admin console.
- IE8 is an old browser and renders web pages very differently
- IE8 accounts for only 1.44% of total visits to our admin console
- Trying to make our product work in IE8 takes a significant amount of time which we could be spending on fixing bugs and building new features
With that in mind, starting on July 4th we will no longer test our product in IE8 and, consequently, parts of the product will stop working in IE8.
To avoid any loss of functionality, we recommend you do one of the following:
- Upgrade to IE9 or higher (unfortunately, if you are using Windows XP then this isn’t an option)
- Switch to any other modern browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari)
- Install Google Chrome Frame for IE (this allows us to tell IE8 to render the admin console like Google Chrome does)
We will continue to support IE8 for the front end of our product. Your end-users will have no problems interacting with your feedback forum, knowledge base, helpdesk or widget with IE8…this only applies to the admin console where you manage your UserVoice account.
In our ideal world we’d continue supporting every browser ever released (I used to work for an alternative browser company, so I can relate with you). Unfortunately, it takes time and resources. We know that making our product better is important to all of our customers, and we feel that this move will help us focus on that goal.
If you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to contact us.
Thanks for your understanding.